Forums » Support

Hardware Minimums

• March 20, 2011 2:44 PM PDT

Hello all!  I'm very new to this and am giving WattOS a try for the first time.  The machine I'm trying to install on, I have not been able to get into it via the original OS which was Windows 2000 or into the bios to find out just how much RAM is installed.  I would like to find out what the minimum hardware requirements to run WattOS are.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ryan

• 2 posts
    March 22, 2011 5:16 PM PDT
    So seriously? I post a legit question and I get deleted? I just want to learn this system. Oh, btw, I'm attempting to install it now.
    • 2 posts
    March 22, 2011 9:28 PM PDT
    So for anyone that cares, I was able to install this OS. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite M-55-S1001, 60 GB HDD, 192 MB RAM. This is the only OS other than Puppy that I've been able to install on this machine with the RAM restriction that I have. Food for thought.... It works!
    • 553 posts
    March 23, 2011 8:30 AM PDT

Thanks Ryan. Not sure why you got deleted. Apologies for that. In any case, thanks for the info, and yes I do care. Thanks! Yes wattOS will install on machines with 192MB of RAM and after the liveCD is installed, it will use much less than that in most cases. There are not hard and fast minimum specs. I have installed wattOS on machines as slow as PII 333MHZ. RAM is typically the holdup as the LiveCD takes a little more memory. wattOS generally runs under 100MB of RAM after install depending on the hardware and environment.

tks,
    biff

This post was edited by biff baxter at March 23, 2011 8:30 AM PDT