Forums » Support

XFCE Power Manager does not switch display monitor off

• 9 posts
    February 28, 2011 4:16 PM PST

Hi, I set the XFCE power manager to switch my laptop monitor off after it has been inactive for a minute. The screen turns black but there is a definite glow from the screen which tells me that it is never turned off.

The settings on my Xfce power manager are: On AC, Monitor Tab

Put display to sleep when computer is inactive for:Never, Switch off display when computer is inactive for: One minute, Reduce screen brightness when computer is inactive for: 10 seconds.

-------

When I change the values to: Put display to sleep when computer is inactive for: One minute, Switch off display when computer is inactive for: Two minutes and Reduce screen brightness when computer is inactive for: 10 seconds.

The display is switched off for a very short while but then comes back on again.

Is there something I can correct to make the power manager turn the display completely off?

Thanks for your time!

This post was edited by Tiny Pliny at February 28, 2011 4:26 PM PST
    • 9 posts
    February 28, 2011 5:28 PM PST
    Okay - seems like I found the solution as well. If the Screensaver is enabled and the Display Power Management under the advanced tab of the ScreenSaver is also enabled, the display is completely turned off. There is some crazy interaction that is going on between the xfce power manager and the screensaver applications, but I can't figure out what it is exactly...
    • 1 posts
    April 8, 2011 5:49 PM PDT
    Hey Tiny.
    Have the exact same issue, and figured it out. I have a laptop that sits on my desk that I use occasionally, and is always on, so I want the display to go OFF after one minute, not blank. In XFCE 4.8 (Newest at this time), I disabled monitor power management in the XFCE power management settings and enabled the advanced options in the screensaver settings. There is a section for power management. Setting 0 for the first two options disables them, and setting one minute for display off turns it off after one minute.
    I was enabling display off in power management, and my display's backlight would come on when the screensaver would come on, and wouldn't turn off if I disabled the screensaver... Quirky.
    You'd think XFCE's team would fix something like this, but at least this works.
    • 551 posts
    April 8, 2011 8:43 PM PDT
    Nice find guys...I appreciate the info..

biff
    • 4 posts
    August 28, 2011 1:19 AM PDT

Yes I sadly confim that XFCE power manager is almost useless and quite buggy, and that's a pity.

- It is reporting that I have a battery even if I removed it from the netbook (i mean in the configuration window, not in the tray)

- After waking up from suspend, sometimes it loses the monitor energy settings

- If I wake up from suspend with the battery in, it shows a blank space in the tray together with xfce4powersettings icon

- "Reduce brightness when inactive" doesn't work at all

This post was edited by Davide R at August 28, 2011 1:23 AM PDT
    • 551 posts
    August 28, 2011 9:26 AM PDT
    Thanks David - I have noticed some strangeness as well. I am tracking these bugs down as quickly as I can and might even make a new .deb for the power manager if needed to make it all work as it should.

biff
    • 4 posts
    August 28, 2011 9:57 AM PDT
    biff baxter said:
    Thanks David - I have noticed some strangeness as well. I am tracking these bugs down as quickly as I can and might even make a new .deb for the power manager if needed to make it all work as it should.

biff

Thanks to you! :)