Forums » wattOS R7

• 553 posts
    November 25, 2012 9:19 AM PST

wattOS R7 is in development. There are some exciting things coming. I am not going to share it all just yet, but some very cool stuff is on the way.

1. Yes there will be 32 and 64 bit 

2. Yes it will strive to be as light and fast as possible balancing usability.

and finally some big news.

3. There will be a NEW version for those who absolutely need the fastest and smallest footprint they can get while still having all the benefits of a *buntu based OS. This version will be wattOS (Microwatt). It will have a totally new and different UI and window manager and be something completely different than you have likely used before. So I am not going to spill the beans just yet, but look for a video of the alpha version in the coming weeks. I will also probably post a screenshot or two as well. I can tell you for certain that it will be smaller and faster than any version of wattOS and will cater to those who absolutely need a small low resource OS while still having a GUI. 

Enjoy!

biff

This post was edited by biff baxter at November 25, 2012 7:49 PM PST
    • 91 posts
    November 25, 2012 3:07 PM PST
    Exciting news indeed; I had thought that microwatt was a good idea which wouldn't reach fruition.

Will it include a non-GUI installer, so low-resource machines don't fall at the instal hurdle ?
    • 170 posts
    November 25, 2012 4:28 PM PST
    Wow Biff, big news can't wait!!!
    • 19 posts
    November 26, 2012 2:13 AM PST
    Looks very interesting AND promising :)
    • 91 posts
    November 26, 2012 5:18 AM PST
    can't wait to see :)
    • 91 posts
    November 26, 2012 5:21 AM PST
    you mean microwatt like puppylinux 5.4.1 hope i didn't spill the beans :)
    • 91 posts
    November 27, 2012 7:50 AM PST
    btw biff will there be a gnome2 based version wattos? i remember using ubuntu 8.04 and it was fast it used gnome 2.22.
    • 91 posts
    November 30, 2012 11:14 AM PST
    i have really bad news netflix is moving to linux too
    will you enforce DRM because to run netflix you must agree to it. i don't use netflix but i thought i should ask?
    • 553 posts
    November 30, 2012 8:48 PM PST
    Hi David...I have no plans for a gnome version at this time...no secrets on microwatt yet. Dont know anything about netflix other than I run it on my android tablet, so I am not making any changes to wattOS related to that.

tks....biff
  • December 1, 2012 9:26 PM PST

Just wondering, but will there be a Microwatt based on 12.04? It seems strange that the first Microwatt is based on a just after an LTS Ubuntu release. That, and will R6 get new updates to at least give it a better Openbox theme (A new ISO, though without the need for updates, just a new Openbox theme....that's probably too far, huh?)

Speaking of an Openbox theme......http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Ambiance+Crunchy?content=136162

http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Onyx+Olive?content=60679

• 170 posts
    December 2, 2012 4:59 AM PST
    A newbee just coming from Windows will never figure out those desktop themes.
    • 91 posts
    December 2, 2012 9:04 AM PST
    r7 will be based off ubuntu 12.10, and microwatt is design to be simply easy on hardware not to be eye candy.
    • 553 posts
    December 2, 2012 7:36 PM PST
    Hi all..those of you who are long termers know that wattOS follows ubuntu's release schedule by 3-4 months. So each version is based on the latest release.

wattOS R7 32, 64bit and the new microwatt will all be based on 12.10

wattOS R8 will be based on 13.04 (all versions)...sometime in the summer.

• 91 posts
    December 3, 2012 1:27 AM PST
    2 questions will r8 have microwatt too? and will pae be disabled by default? sorry if these questions are dumb XD
    • 553 posts
    December 8, 2012 3:00 PM PST
    Hi david..never dumb questions. The answers are as follows.

Yes - Microwatt will be released every time until/unless the interest is not there from others.

Microwatt will be non-pae by default so really old gear (what its targeted at) will be able to boot with no issue)...tks biff
    • 91 posts
    December 8, 2012 5:46 PM PST
    thanks biff.
    • 102 posts
    December 16, 2012 7:27 AM PST
    Will you be staying with the lxde or possibly looking to make "Enlightenment" an option for the desktop?
    • 19 posts
    December 16, 2012 2:29 PM PST
    I keep R6 anyhow since it's LTS.
  • December 16, 2012 6:31 PM PST
    Leenie Gilmore said:
    A newbee just coming from Windows will never figure out those desktop themes.

Hmmmm...I think they'll do fine. I wasn't showing the "desktop" themes, though, I was just showing the Openbox theme - I just can't stand seeing the Milky theme since Openbox can look much better in my opinion - like, for example, using the Shiki Openbox theme and combining it with the Shiki-Nouveau GTK+ theme....though that'll be a bit too Old-Mint-esque...

• 553 posts
    January 7, 2013 4:14 PM PST
    Thanks all for being patient...I am now back from holiday and rested and ready to go :). Expect some nice surprises this week including what everyone loves...pictures. I also however want some feedback from you all on some platform decisions, so please be ready to participate....

tks,
    biff
    • 91 posts
    January 7, 2013 4:21 PM PST
    sweet :)
    • 170 posts
    January 7, 2013 6:06 PM PST
    ready :D
    • 553 posts
    January 13, 2013 7:19 PM PST

microwatt R7 desktop... :)

• 4 posts
    January 13, 2013 7:49 PM PST
    Looks great. I have an old(ish) laptop, an HP Envy 13, with no hard drive. Eager to test the laptop with MicroWatt via USB flash drive. Will MicroWatt have a load to memory feature?
    • 170 posts
    January 13, 2013 9:36 PM PST
    WOW!!!