Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Other Distros

• 52 posts
    January 21, 2011 1:02 PM PST

[url]www.salineos.com

Salin OS is a really good one.  The guy who made it just did his firs (1.0) release a few days ago.  It's Debian-based and uses the Squeeze testing repositories and the XFCE desktop.  I've been using it since late last night and I've been enjoying it.  Of the Debian-based distros I've tried, I like this one the best (Ubuntu-based distros don't count as Debian-based distros in my book.)  If you've got the HD space, you might want to check it out or even just run it in Live mode.  You can use UNetbootin (the version in the Maverick repos) to create a USB drive.  The version of UNetbootin in the Debian Squeeze repos won't work but the one in the Maverick repos is newer and works.  :)

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 21, 2011 1:03 PM PST
  • January 21, 2011 2:38 PM PST
    Well, Chris ... with a write-up like that I'll have to give Saline a look-see. Now, where's that spare USB drive I have sitting around?

Chris, are you using the i386 version or the amd64 version of Saline?

Old Man Zhymm

• 170 posts
    January 21, 2011 3:31 PM PST
    I will check it out on my next "old" pc. I went to the site for a quick look-see and couldn't find the system requirements.
  • January 21, 2011 3:43 PM PST
    OK, running the i386 version of Saline OS from a USB drive (typing this from it as I write) and first impression is good. Must do a little testing on it's performance on this lappy (HP Pavilion dv6700).

One note ... I had to add "wlan0" via preferences in wicd to get the wireless network connected.

Old Man Zhymm

• 52 posts
    January 21, 2011 7:03 PM PST
    Sorry for the lat reply, Zhymm. I'm running the i386 version. I tend to do that, even though I don't need to, because I've found that there are still issues with 64-bit operating systems and software that was never designed to be run in 64-bit. But that's what happens when technology moves forward.
    • 170 posts
    January 22, 2011 10:16 AM PST
    I'm still looking for the system requirements for Saline OS. I am reviving really OLD pcs.
    • 52 posts
    January 22, 2011 10:39 AM PST

OK, I asked on the forums.  Anthony Nordquist, who created Saline OS, said he managed to get it to run on a Celeron M 533MHz with 256MB of RAM.  His words:  "It runs but not spectacularly well, and with those specifications I would highly recommend using Parole to play music."  He recommends at least a 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM.

• 170 posts
    January 22, 2011 5:36 PM PST

Thank you so much, Chris. I know it won't work on the old pc I have in mind. Celeron 433MHz processor and 128 mb ram. Any ideas for this one?        I'm thinkin' Anti-x......

This post was edited by Leenie Gilmore at January 22, 2011 8:14 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 22, 2011 8:18 PM PST

Have you tried Puppy Linux?  Supposedly, it will run on a Pentium 75MHz and 32MB of RAM.  I've been tempted to try it on my old Compaq Presario with a Cyrix 225MHz and 128MB of RAM, I just haven't done it yet.

• 170 posts
    January 22, 2011 8:26 PM PST
    I have tried puppy. I didn't really like it. Hard to learn for me. Maybe I will try it again.
    • 52 posts
    January 22, 2011 9:45 PM PST
    Yeah, Puppy is pretty stripped down. I thought it was pretty cool but I could see where it might not be for everybody. Though, I tried Puppy 5.1 on a USB drive I made in UNetbootin and it worked fine. I tried the same with Puppy 5.2 and it won't load. Either I got a bad copy or it doesn't like the USB or UNetbootin as well as 5.1 did.
    • 170 posts
    January 22, 2011 9:50 PM PST
    I need to keep it simple to convince others to use it. I build pcs out of old gathered parts and give them away.
    • 52 posts
    January 23, 2011 12:18 AM PST

I see.  I don't think I'm the correct person to advise you on this, unfortunately.  Aside from that 1998 Compaq with the Cyrix 225, my "older" computer is an AMD Athlon 64 2.40 GHz with 2 GB of RAM.  I don't have anything older that survived besides that ancient Compaq (my first PC.)

I'd suggest hitting DistroWatch and trying the search.  Under "Distribution Category," select "Old Computers" and see what comes up.  antiX is on the list but I have no idea how it would perform on a 433 MHz with 128 MB of RAM becuase I don't have anything like that on hand.

In case you don't have it, here's the link to DistroWatch:  DistroWatch

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 23, 2011 12:20 AM PST
  • January 23, 2011 7:10 AM PST
    Leenie, have you tried DSL (Damn Small Linux)? I have it running on some ancient computers in my classroom (one's a 486 with 190 MB of ram and an 830 MB HD).

Old Man Zhymm
    • 170 posts
    January 23, 2011 7:47 AM PST
    Really? Is it difficult to use? I have to keep it simple for whomever uses it.
    • 553 posts
    January 23, 2011 8:11 AM PST
    Hi all...DSL will run on thr hardware. It is a little different, and be a little confusing, but definitely not to hard...

Not that I am biased, but wattOS will run on that hardware. The only trump card in that scenario is RAM. I have 10 old laptops that are 366MHz that I have running wattOS. the 128MB of RAM is usually the tough part. (mine have 192MB of RAM each). Once installed it will run under the 128 no problem. If I had a text installer done, it would be a layup :)
    • 170 posts
    January 23, 2011 8:47 AM PST
    A text installer would help everyone a lot with those older pcs.
    • 52 posts
    January 23, 2011 9:46 AM PST

Yeah, RAM is the really tricky part. Someone reported the other day that the graphical installer crashed during install with 256 MB of RAM. I think, once you get past the install of wattOS, it will run on not a lot of juice but it's getting past that part that's a hurdle. Even a graphical installer that doesn't have to load the full desktop in Live mode would help, like Ubuntu has. It's loading the desktop and then running the installer that is killing peoples' machines.
    Possible solution: Remember, this isn't Windows. You can run the Live CD on a newer computer and use that to install onto a hard drive that you can then transfer to the older machine. Unlike Windows, Linux will boot when you do that. Just a thought.

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 23, 2011 9:47 AM PST
    • 170 posts
    January 23, 2011 10:17 AM PST
    Very neat idea. Thank you.
    • 8 posts
    January 24, 2011 5:44 PM PST

Another trick a few people on the Mint forum report having success with is installing a swap partition on your hard drive with Gparted before you start the installation. The installer will use the swap space as virtual ram if needed.

This post was edited by John Ritchie at January 24, 2011 5:45 PM PST
    • 8 posts
    January 24, 2011 5:50 PM PST

In response to the earlier discussion about SalineOS, I have it in Virtualbox and I am really liking what I see.
    The only thing is, Someone said Saline is based on Debian Testing. I thought it was based on Debian Stable.
    Mint's LMDE is based on Testing. We should really be busy in the Mint forums when all of those new LMDE users start getting the flood of updates once sid goes stable and a new testing version is started.

This post was edited by John Ritchie at January 24, 2011 5:50 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 24, 2011 7:54 PM PST
    Yeah, that was my bad. Saline is based on Debian Stable.

Neat trick with the swap partition, BTW. That sounds like something good for people with memory issues to try.
    • 52 posts
    January 31, 2011 9:57 AM PST
    I tried Bodhi Linux yesterday on my other computer because I wanted to try the new E17 1.0 release. I hadn't tried E17 since it was in alpha stage and it was a mess. E17 I liked but I installed the nvidia graphics driver via Synaptic and then it wouldn't boot back up. So, that was the end of me running Bodhi, unless I install it in VirtualBox or Qemu.
    • 9 posts
    February 13, 2011 4:42 AM PST
    I've just installed Linux Mint 10 LXDE edition and I am impressed. It is very good distro and runs well on my P3 500 MHz notebook Sony Vaio with 256 MB RAM. Unfortunately it is mot possible to add more RAM, I wish I could, because it's little bit slow on running upps.
    • 5 posts
    August 15, 2011 11:55 AM PDT

Any one tried #! CrunchBang 10 "Statler" r20110207 since it went Debian?  Based on Squeeze - there are a few flavours:

- Xfce
     - OpenBox

Download either version and with the "cb-welcome" script you can add the other Xfce/OpemBox as a seperate session.  I'm here because a few people are talking about WattOS there.

This post was edited by 60 kWh at August 15, 2011 12:06 PM PDT