Forums » Support

I wish I could use my windows button

• 31 posts
    January 15, 2011 3:07 PM PST

I wish I could use my windows key to open my start menu. 

Is there a list of keyboard shortcuts?

Can I change my keyboard shortcuts like in ubuntu?

• 52 posts
    January 15, 2011 4:10 PM PST

Good question.  I tried setting up mine that way but it's not working so far.

You need to bind the button (Super_L for the left Win button, Super_R for the right) to "lxpanelctl menu" but I haven't figured yet how to do it.  I tried some instructions I found on the Openbox website but it either didn't work or I did it wrong.

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 15, 2011 5:07 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 15, 2011 5:23 PM PST

OK, I got it here. Open file ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

Scroll down to the keyboard section and enter a new key bind.  (see image below)

save the file, log out and back in and the menu will now open with the left Windows button. If you want to use the right, substitute Super_R for Super_L or you can even add a binding for both. The Openbox website wanted me to call the key W-l but that wasn't working.

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 15, 2011 5:25 PM PST
    • 31 posts
    January 18, 2011 4:10 AM PST

Thank you Chris for your quick reply. I was not able to open that file. It says it does not exsit.

• 52 posts
    January 18, 2011 10:11 AM PST

My bad. If you're using a terminal, you have to type "leafpad" before the location:

leafpad ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

The way I accessed it was to just open PCManFM, click on "Show Hidden" under the "view" menu and navigate to the file, right click on it and select "leafpad" to open it. However, the terminal way is faster.

Edit:  Hmm, just thought of something.  Have you installed wattOS or are you running it in Live mode?  If you haven't installed it, the file won't be there.  It gets copied into the location in your home folder when you install it.  Prior to that, I don't know where it is.

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 18, 2011 10:17 AM PST
    • 31 posts
    January 18, 2011 1:42 PM PST
    Thank you Chris for the clarification.

Harold
    • 563 posts
    January 19, 2011 7:54 AM PST
    Nice Chris...thanks for helping out. I appreciate it....biff
    • 52 posts
    January 19, 2011 8:56 AM PST
    No problem. I'm glad to help when I can. Besides, I found this to be very interesting information and a good thing to learn to do. I might need to map a button sometime in LXDE and it helps to figure out ahead of time how to do it. I've already set up the windows button thing on all of my Linux operating systems because the 3 I have installed all use LXDE. :)
    • 7 posts
    August 31, 2012 12:52 PM PDT
    Chris Martin said:

My bad. If you're using a terminal, you have to type "leafpad" before the location:

The way I accessed it was to just open PCManFM, click on "Show Hidden" under the "view" menu and navigate to the file, right click on it and select "leafpad" to open it. However, the terminal way is faster.

Edit:  Hmm, just thought of something.  Have you installed wattOS or are you running it in Live mode?  If you haven't installed it, the file won't be there.  It gets copied into the location in your home folder when you install it.  Prior to that, I don't know where it is.

this is great tip, I can open chromium with  Super_L but can't seem to get it with the same key+w.  Will it work with Super_L+w? or

• 7 posts
    August 31, 2012 3:18 PM PDT
    G Chang said:
    Chris Martin said:

this is great tip, I can open chromium with  Super_L but can't seem to get it with the same key+w.  Will it work with Super_L+w? or

I actually found the prob.  It should be "W+w".  Capital W is for windows key and small w, now when I enter the combo, the chromium starts.  For some reason "W+t" does not activate my lxterminal...

• 53 posts
    September 9, 2012 9:15 PM PDT
    Gah. I can't get it to happen even issuing lxpanelctl restart (surely overmuch) in the live session. Fusefs, we used to be friends!
    http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings <--apropos, with its suggestion to try xev in a termainal to see what your keyboard's more obscure magic buttons are called. No gold key, no hyper key...what cruddy keyboards have I been buying?