Forums » Support

How do I?

• 553 posts
    December 19, 2010 11:59 AM PST

Stumped? Post something here.

• 553 posts
    December 19, 2010 11:23 PM PST

Create a USB bootable device from an ISO....head on over to unetbootin for directions!

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

Other wattOS versions have worked and members have posted success with this program.

biff

• 553 posts
    December 20, 2010 10:41 PM PST

Also if you are looking for USB DOS drivers as well, take a look at the link below.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

I can confirm I have used DUSE in the past and loaded a Linux ISO and installed. Been a few years ago, but worked with a little configuration.

biff

This post was edited by biff baxter at December 20, 2010 10:50 PM PST
    • 9 posts
    January 12, 2011 1:56 AM PST
    Hi Biff,
    I would like to setup printer support on my Eee PC running R3. I have an Epson Stylus SX425W. The Epson .deb package depends for some reason on forty-five other packages. I neither have room on the SSD (2GB), nor a desire to install all of those depends. I have tried setting the printer up in CUPS, but the SX410 and 510 drivers return errors, despite the printer having a static IP and I have tried to set it up as an LPD/LPR printer. There is no 425W driver. Any ideas? Is there someway I can install the Epson driver without all of those depends?
    • 553 posts
    January 12, 2011 8:09 AM PST
    Hi Brian,

I will do some research, but I am not familiar with that model of printer. When all else fails a generic PCL 5e or 5c driver usually works (or if a laser, a HPLJ 4si driver), but you might loose advanced functionality of the device/bells/whistles, etc.

tks...biff
    • 9 posts
    January 12, 2011 10:09 AM PST
    I tried both PCL drivers, but they give me the same errors as the other Epson drivers:
    "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-possible'."
    • 20 posts
    January 12, 2011 1:15 PM PST
    Hi, I have just installed Openoffice.org3 and it seems to have worked, but I cannot find any entries/menues ot open it - anyone having a clue? I have tried the direct command "openoffice.org3", but nothing happens. I have also rebooted the computer after I got "installed" in the package installer.

Ola 
    • 553 posts
    January 12, 2011 7:23 PM PST
    Hi Ola,

Did you install via synaptic or downloaded from the openoffice.org web site?

if you look in the /usr/share/applications folder you will probably see the file that will launch it.

There is probably a setting in there we need to tweak for it to show up in the menu, but first let me know how you installed it..

tks,

biff
    • 20 posts
    January 13, 2011 7:32 AM PST
    Hi Biff,
    I did install it with the files (all.deb) downloaded from openoffice.org. I have looked for the files in the directory you mentioned, but what I find is this a number of Icon names like "openoffice.org3-calc.desktop" which respond with "Command not foune" when I click on it.
    As a newbie, I am not familiar with the term "synaptic".
    Thks for help...
    Ola
    • 553 posts
    January 13, 2011 8:02 AM PST
    Hi Ola, I will post more "how to" info soon. Synaptic is a package manager that will download and install programs for you and make sure all dependencies are met, etc. so they work properly. it is listed under the menu under preferences, and you can search for programs to install using the tool as well.
    • 20 posts
    January 14, 2011 12:38 AM PST
    Hi biff, installation via Synaptic worked well. Now I want to upgrade to OS3 - can that be done by installing on top or do I need to delete OS2 and start from scratch?
    Thks / Ola
  • January 26, 2011 8:27 AM PST
    Hi there,
    Just install RC3. How do I change language, do I have to pick things from synaptic ?
    • 20 posts
    January 28, 2011 1:25 PM PST
    Hi,

I remember I managed to open the desktop programmes with ONE click, but cannot find the box to tick in OSR3 - can anyone give me a hand?

Thks / Ola 
    • 53 posts
    January 28, 2011 10:01 PM PST
    Brian with the Epson Stylus SX 425W printer:
    Got drivers! http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do

Fixunix.com mentioned perhaps a bad file in the queue, causing that error message, to be fixed by:
    sudo service cups stop
    cd /var/spool/cups (in that directory are the printing jobs, sometimes many, causing the "client-error-not-possible" error.
    delete all the jobs ("rm -f *") (DELETE ONLY THE FILES, not the "tmp" directory!)
    service cups start
    ...next test printing!
    Or: run "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart" on the server.

Others see some evidence in /var/log/cups/error_log ; anything fun there? At any rate, how big is the bundle of other packages; if it's a 230MB you and a USB drive have to spare, how about that try then?

...or try a little Google Translate?
    http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/druckertreiber-epson-stylus-sx425w-sx420w/
    • 3 posts
    February 12, 2011 4:31 PM PST
    Hi,

how (if possible) can I reset a users password (cannot remember what I've setted)?

Thanks,

L. Pinho
    • 553 posts
    February 13, 2011 7:10 PM PST
    Hi Luis,

Do you mean you cannot login because you cannot remember your password, or you are at the desktop and want to change a password?

If you are at the desktop, click on "go" then on "preferences" then on "Users and Groups".

tks....biff
    • 3 posts
    February 14, 2011 3:18 AM PST
    Hi Bill,

I cannot login because I cannot remember my password,

Thanks for the help,

L. Pinho
    • 53 posts
    February 19, 2011 5:21 PM PST
    Luis, if you created other users, you can login as them and use sudo privilege to reset the password. If you haven't, you really need to store your passwords someplace (e.g. a secure cellphone.) Once you decided that you can of course boot a livecd and abuse local user privileges to remove /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow entries to nothing between / and get the password reset done; this is documented under Ubuntu of course. I think my worst case of that was using a voice organizer, recording hysterical notes, and not understanding myself later.
    • 3 posts
    February 20, 2011 2:32 AM PST
    Thank you for the replies, I wil have to use a live cd
    • 20 posts
    March 2, 2011 1:46 PM PST
    Hi,

I have downloaded Windosw XP fonts and would like to change the desktop to Tahoma. I have Tahoma installed, but cannot find how to proceed....

Any clue

Thanks/Ola 
    • 9 posts
    March 2, 2011 2:44 PM PST
    Ola, click on the "Go" button > Preferences > Customize Look and Feel > In the tab called "Widget" change the Default Font to Tahoma. You can also change the font size here.
    • 20 posts
    March 3, 2011 11:42 AM PST
    Hi and thanks. I use OS2, but found >Preference >Appearance >Fonts - thanks!
  • J N
    • 1 posts
    March 18, 2011 1:37 PM PDT
    People have asked how to change keyboard layout, as was I. Now I now a very simple solution. Start command and write 'setxkbmap XX'. XX was se for me, since I am swedish. Good luck!
    • 553 posts
    March 18, 2011 2:10 PM PDT
    Thanks JN...I appreciate it...biff
  • B K
    • 6 posts
    May 13, 2011 3:48 PM PDT

Hello,

How can I edit desktops so I only have 1 instead of 2? and in the known problems for autologin I followed the directions but it still did not work for me. Are there any secondary ways to get autologin to work?

Thanks,

BK

P.S. running WattOS RC3