Forums » Suggestions

Application Wish List

• 551 posts
    December 30, 2010 4:44 PM PST

As I finish up wattOSR3 in the next day or two, I am always interested in what people use. I have a tendency to review this with every release, and think about what I use, and what I never use on a distro.

I am interested to know...what programs are most important to you and that you think should be always included on a distro?

biff

• January 2, 2011 8:33 AM PST
    Hmmm .... after a few minutes of thought I can come up with only three that I usually install if not already present:

file manager - pcmanfm
    audio player - exaile
    multimedia - vlc

and toss in lxpanel & lxterminal if LXDE is not the default.

Old Man Zhymm

• 551 posts
    January 3, 2011 8:26 PM PST
    Thanks Zhymm - I am trying a new music player and lightweight photo editor this time around. I did included exaile in the first couple versions of wattOS. Look in the pics shortly for a few new shots of the apps.
    • 551 posts
    January 6, 2011 12:33 PM PST
    Hi Ola,

You can right click on the panel and it opens a menu. Select Add/Remove Panel Items and you will get a list. In that list will be the option to add various things. One of them is the battery monitor. You can then edit it and move its position, change message, color, etc. by right click on it and changing its settings.

tks....biff
    • 20 posts
    January 6, 2011 12:38 PM PST

Hi,

I looked into the Beta OS3 to see if there were some more poss on monitor resolutions (like in Puppy) and noted that the it looks like the Wicd Network Manager was not available. I had no problem in current version with the Reallink driver, but no go with my wireless card in Beta 3.

Ola

• 20 posts
    January 6, 2011 12:45 PM PST
    Hello again - got it, thanks..
  • January 7, 2011 7:55 AM PST
    Hey biff,

Web Browser: Midori
    Multimedia: VLC, totally agree with zhymm
    Audio: xmms or rhythmbox
    Office: Openoffice or LibreOffice
    • 52 posts
    January 10, 2011 12:44 PM PST

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just downloaded your R3 release last night. Here's something to consider and it's a really small thing:

http://code.google.com/p/inxi/

I used this command to download it:

wget ftp://cathbard.com/binary/inxi*.deb

and gdebi to install, it's a very quick and painless process to install a very nifty and useful little script. Maybe it's something to think about for the next release.

I love the OS, BTW.

This post was edited by Chris Martin at January 10, 2011 12:45 PM PST
    • 2 posts
    January 10, 2011 1:09 PM PST
    Agreed with Chris about inxi. It's a fantastic standard for which you can catalog hardware versus issues associated therein. It was originally written for IRC use, but it has a plethora of other uses as well.
    • 14 posts
    April 22, 2011 3:02 PM PDT
    The Midori web browser could be interesting especially for users with old hardware.
  • May 3, 2011 9:55 PM PDT
    As I said on the poll, Midori would be a great default web browser. I also think Vlc would be better then totem and that obconf should be included to allow easy switching of the openbox theme.
    • 91 posts
    May 8, 2011 8:46 PM PDT
    On browsers :
    I agree the concept of lightweight Midori as standard for a lightweight distro. However :
    - Midori doesn't properly display some pages from our local Bureau of Meteorology
    - despite its "big" reputation, I have run Firefox under Linux on a Cel366 with 256MB RAM, so it's not hopelessly inefficient

It's true that the webpage issue could be a BoM coding problem, and that "heavy" use of Ff might require substantial cpu horsepower, but for now I'm happy using Ff on R3 on a P3-550.

From output posted elsewhere in the forums, it looks as if inxi would be a good way to find basic data for people wanting support on h/w. And it looks to be a non-bloat addition.
    Are the other uses mentioned by Kendall also opportunities for users generally ?
    • 551 posts
    May 9, 2011 9:35 AM PDT
    Thanks teejay for the feedback. I think inxi is a nice addition. Not sure about browsers yet...but time will tell soon :)
    • 3 posts
    April 6, 2012 4:36 AM PDT

Oh, the wish! list.
    wattOS apps picked out very nicely. Here are a few suggestions.

WM: openbox the best ever, don't change it:)

File Manager: definitely is pcmanfm don't change it:)

Office: abiword, Yeah no smaller alternative.

Audio: Audacious
    I've used a lot of audio players, the one that worked even when I screwed my alsa configs was DeaDBeef. The one I use and like is Clementine.

Video: SMplayer
    Do not change it to anything, even vcl, which can be buggy on certain hardware)

Web: Midori
    Is good, but do crashes sometimes. I shall be geeky and propose xxxterm, but no way will it be included, so I think Chromium is just the browser that works on linux without major glitches. Moreover, it will support flash after all. I still can't think of a better alternative to web browser but chromium and I've tried almost all browsers, even abaco:)

Image viewer: Mirage is the best of them all. It has basic editing features and fast.

Messenger: yep, pidgin, no better alternative now.

Some tools like Palimpsest would be nice, but not essential.

This post was edited by Le Tian at April 6, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
    • 71 posts
    May 11, 2012 2:27 PM PDT
    Keep applications at a minimum - even less than in R5. Experienced Linux users already have a favorite application for each category. Include a "ReadMe" text, which would include good suggestions for each category and a detailed simple menu for installing them via Synaptic. This would be for Linux newcomers. Finally, maximize drivers, etc that make things - internet connection, printer connection, audio connection, video connection, etc - work essentially right out of the box. R5 is the first install that I ever did that audio worked for every major app (skype, etc) without a lot of searching and messing around. This is one of the reasons I'm using Watt today.
    • 71 posts
    May 11, 2012 2:51 PM PDT
    Include Wine in the install, or an install. The one area in which Linux loses badly to Windows is application choices. Wine narrows - you could claim at Window's expense - that gap a little. If this handicaps users with low resource computers, then offer one "with" and one "without".
    • 551 posts
    May 12, 2012 8:39 AM PDT
    Thanks for the feedback Douglas :) Always appreciate more feedback and perspectives.

biff
  • May 12, 2012 9:28 AM PDT
    Sylpheed, Configure, Parole, Other Wallpapers (Such as KDE's, Ubuntu's, Gnome's, and R4 's (Including the login screen?) and R5's too, other than the new R6 Wallpapers?) xfburn(?). What do you think about that (With Brasero and SMPlayer replaced by Xfburn and Parole respectively)?

Maybe this setting for the clock
    %A, %B %d %Y %r or %A, %B %d %Y %R

Allow lxde-logout to show up in the menus (go to usr/share/applications) and maybe give it a good icon
    Make the Menubar and Bookmarks Bar, or maybe even the Statusbar features addon appear by default in Midori
    And (Sadly) a gtk theme that will also be compatible with gtk3 apps(And there are just too few!)
    Oh, yes, don't drop Jupiter.
  • May 13, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
    You might also want to create a script (Blank File) in /usr/share/applications named, for example, pcmanfm --desktop-pref.desktop and copy and paste these in the script:

[Desktop Entry]
    Exec=pcmanfm --desktop-pref
    Icon=wmtweaks
    Name=LXDE Desktop Preferences
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;X-LXDE-Settings;
    StartupNotify=true

..and have it in R6, it's basically a menu entry to LXDE's desktop preferences, the one Biff wrote about in another post.
    • 3 posts
    May 14, 2012 1:46 AM PDT
    Douglas Willett said:
    Keep applications at a minimum - even less than in R5. Experienced Linux users already have a favorite application for each category. Include a "ReadMe" text, which would include good suggestions for each category and a detailed simple menu for installing them via Synaptic. This would be for Linux newcomers. Finally, maximize drivers, etc that make things - internet connection, printer connection, audio connection, video connection, etc - work essentially right out of the box. R5 is the first install that I ever did that audio worked for every major app (skype, etc) without a lot of searching and messing around. This is one of the reasons I'm using Watt today.

Cannot but to agree on this one, the less apps, the better.

This post was edited by Le Tian at May 14, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    May 18, 2012 11:19 AM PDT
    Douglas Willett said:

The Dougster is right. Something simple with every driver under the sun would be amazing. To be able to install a linux os with little to no driver issues would be amazing. Most linux users replace most default apps any way(I'm looking at you Evolution), so a browser, terminal, and synaptic should be all you need.

• 36 posts
    May 18, 2012 4:38 PM PDT
    And then a way to remove the drivers that aren't needed after all. Easy set up, and removal of what wasn't needed.
  • May 18, 2012 5:38 PM PDT
    Dave . said:
    You might also want to create a script (Blank File) in /usr/share/applications named, for example, pcmanfm --desktop-pref.desktop and copy and paste these in the script: [Desktop Entry] Exec=pcmanfm --desktop-pref Icon=wmtweaks Name=LXDE Desktop Preferences Type=Application Terminal=false Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;X-LXDE-Settings; StartupNotify=true ..and have it in R6, it's basically a menu entry to LXDE's desktop preferences, the one Biff wrote about in another post.

Oops! This script might be better...

[Desktop Entry]
    Exec=pcmanfm --desktop-pref
    Icon=wmtweaks
    Name=LXDE Desktop Preferences
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;X-LXDE-Settings;
    StartupNotify=true
    OnlyShowIn=LXDE;