Forums » News and Announcements

wattOS R4 Released

• 551 posts
    August 13, 2011 7:01 PM PDT

I am pleased to announce the release today of wattOS R4

Also go to wattOS information link at the top, and read biffs blog about wattOS R4 to learn a few more things if you are new to wattOS.

http://www.planetwatt.com/blogs/1/13/biffs-blog-watt-os-r4-release

This version has a load of new changes. Below is a brief list of updates. This version of wattOS is based on the latest production ubuntu 11.04.

lightweight Linux running LXDE and updated clean simple interface and smooth new look
    New included control panel user interface for simple configuration of your system in a familiar format (screenshot)
    - Link to check out basics of the "configure panel" for wattOS is here - http://www.planetwatt.com/forums/topic/167/meet-the-configure-panel-in-r4

wattOS now also has a ppa on launchpad so this application can be updated automatically as well as new wattOS specific packages will be published here.

New music player changed to audacious with plugin for music stream searching - lightweight - codecs included.
    Changed to VLC for video player
    Changed to lightweight mail client sylpheed by default
    Updated version of fotoxx photo editor
    KeePassX password manager
    xfce4 power manager
    Changed from Firefox to Chromium web browser - flash support already included.
    Lots of other small tweaks and improvements.

Cheers!

biff

This post was edited by biff baxter at August 14, 2011 2:44 PM PDT
    • 551 posts
    August 13, 2011 7:10 PM PDT

Greetings all - there will be updates here over the next 24 hours that will help fill in the blanks

There were a few last minute changes based upon testing.

1. Wine Curmeudgeon will be happy to know that Gwibber was removed from the final. It was just to buggy. There were lots of alternatives, but none of them seemed low resource enough to make sense, or were so buggy that I just could not add them. Additionally with the web client options, I figured a clean Chromium would work, and you can make your own choices.

2. The mail client Postler was changed out for Sylpheed - Postler was nice, but did not work with the current ubuntu build, and required a webkit install that was not 100% in my opinion, so I went with a light alternative that had a little longer track record. I really like Postler, but not ready to distribute, so maybe the next release :)

3. The configure panel which is the first wattOS native package is rolled into the newly added wattOS software repository which means updates will happen automagically when you check for software updates. :)

4. LXDE includes movable ICONS which I am sure you will like. I also included 4 wattOS specific wallpapers.

5. WICD the network client is setup for both wired and wireless. the deafault wireless is wlan0, remember you can change it to whatever you want. Some netbooks choose eth1 as the default wireless interface.

6. The autologin works for the live CD and the regular install.

More to come...enjoy!

biff

• 16 posts
    August 14, 2011 8:00 PM PDT
    By the Gods I can't wait to get home to download it HAPPYDAYS :-) :-)
  • August 14, 2011 8:25 PM PDT
    What a nice surprise to start the week! Burning a CD as I type. Lessee if R4 can knock #! off of a few of my 'puters.

Old Man Zhymm