Forums » wattOS R4

R4 Done!

• 563 posts
    August 8, 2011 6:07 PM PDT

wattOS R4 is done. It will be available to download on Friday Aug 12th. (latest release date ever) - look here in the next 24 hours or so for the readme documentation, last minute updates to applications list, highlights and changes, etc. Distrowatch will be notified Thursday evening. Thanks all for being patient.

biff

• 21 posts
    August 10, 2011 3:18 AM PDT
    Weekend project!
    • 61 posts
    August 10, 2011 12:24 PM PDT

Great!
    No problem to wait. I know a distro where it was at one instance more then a year extra. But that packer always says: "It's ready when it's ready (or something like it)". And there is a lot to say for it I think.

This post was edited by Gerrit rijnsma at August 10, 2011 12:27 PM PDT
    • 563 posts
    August 10, 2011 5:25 PM PDT

Not bad memory usage in R4 - sitting at 110MB on the desktop. still want to squeeze a little more, but Im pretty happy :)

• 61 posts
    August 13, 2011 2:06 PM PDT

Livecd looks fine!
    Beautiful creature in green and movable icons.
    Making room on a partition and then install. I do have R3 still on another partition. Would it be possible to copy (with compression and as root) the /home/ dir R3 over /home/  dir R4? And then install all necessary applications? (I try anyway.)

This post was edited by Gerrit rijnsma at August 13, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
    • 61 posts
    August 14, 2011 3:42 AM PDT

Answer to my own question above:
    No. It gives problems with the password. After login it jumps back to login. :smile:

In the meantime: as far as I can see: all works fine! I'm building the system, so it makes work easy and productive ( and I'm learning a lot again).

This post was edited by Gerrit rijnsma at August 16, 2011 1:12 PM PDT
  • October 4, 2011 2:41 PM PDT

Just wanted to thank biff for WattOS; I remember trying R3 and liking it then leaving it and Linux for quite awhile. I'm using R4 and liking it. Also thought that I would post snapshots of my current setup and memory usage.

Setup: WattOS R4, 6GB HDD on VirtualBox 4.14 on Mac OS X Lion iMac (12GB RAM, 500GB HDD; 3.0Ghz C2D).  

Installed Apps: Standard though have replaced things (LibreOffice replaces Abiword and Gnumeric), removed Sylpheed, Transmission and Filezilla, added Firefox 7.0.1, trimmed some icon themes, added gparted and some other stuff.  Still lean and actually as HDD light as R4 was out of the box.  The biggest change is actually adding 85MB of desktop pictures to rotate through...  :)

Another change was that I added to my xorg.conf file 16:9 ratio display settings, I am using 1600x900 for my current setup.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at October 4, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
    • 563 posts
    October 5, 2011 8:11 PM PDT
    Great screenshot Anthony..Its always interesting to me so see how people customize. I like it.