Forums » wattOS R4

Applications Wish List

• 553 posts
    May 28, 2011 10:00 AM PDT

Throw any applications here that you would like to see by default, or what you promptly install after installing the base system.

I am finalizing the list for the next build, and would love to know what you like to see.

biff

• 16 posts
    May 28, 2011 11:19 PM PDT
    I like VLC Player though, it does use a bit of CPU power it sits around about 26% when running and about 30mb ram.

• A H
    • 6 posts
    May 29, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

I use this special apps:

Web browser: Opera and Midori

Internet communication: Turpial (twitter), Pidgin and M2 mail (integrate in Opera)

Graphic: Fotoxx

Audio: Deadbeef (like Foobar)

Video: VLC (I know that VLC is not so light, but a like it)

System tools: BleachBit (like CCleaner), LXTask manager

This post was edited by A H at May 29, 2011 2:54 AM PDT
    • 170 posts
    June 3, 2011 7:01 PM PDT
    conky might be good.
  • June 5, 2011 4:44 AM PDT
    Email: Claws Mail
    • 170 posts
    June 5, 2011 6:23 AM PDT
    How about IceWM desktop for those REALLY slow pc's.
  • June 15, 2011 5:51 AM PDT

This is what I usually install after a minimal commandline install (plus xorg):

openbox mc firefox tint2 conky nitrogen thunar lxrandr gtk2-engines elementary-icon-theme ttf-droid sakura gmrun obconf file-roller adobe-flashplugin zip unzip unrar leafpad wbar volti gnome-mplayer

This post was edited by Deleted Member at June 15, 2011 5:52 AM PDT
    • 170 posts
    June 19, 2011 6:34 AM PDT
    Google Chrome
    • 5 posts
    August 2, 2011 7:53 PM PDT
    Leenie Gilmore said:
    How about IceWM desktop for those REALLY slow pc's.

I +1 that, and having a preset conky will good system info would be awesome for old pc's.

• 170 posts
    August 2, 2011 8:38 PM PDT
    see above, lol.
    • 5 posts
    August 3, 2011 2:13 PM PDT
    +1 for a preset conky as well. Is there a benefit to having conky hardcore?
    • 2 posts
    August 16, 2011 1:46 PM PDT
    hi there,
    my suggestions for default applications would be:
    SRWare iron browser, secure chrome derivative
    remmina remote desktop to access windows machines
    vlc to handle all audio/video playback
    bluetooth support
    • 31 posts
    October 21, 2011 7:17 PM PDT
    I liked your 1st approach to email clients, no need for one. If you are running on a small machine you're probably using webmail. I uninstalled slypheed.
    • 170 posts
    October 21, 2011 7:23 PM PDT

I uninstalled sylpheed too. I am thinking there's a lot of changes we could do to make it lighter. I would like to see a text install, for those really old machines. Someone told me to install to a hard drive and move hard drive to target pc.... It worked once so far.

This post was edited by Leenie Gilmore at October 21, 2011 7:38 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    January 1, 2012 8:27 PM PST
    So, no TinyCore 4.2 compared to WattOS 4 for ...what are these old machines again, P4s with AGP (ATI x500? GeForce 7220 PCIx? Intel add-in cards?!) video?
    • 13 posts
    January 2, 2012 12:16 PM PST
    I also install several different apps to use, but it's easily done via Synaptic.

Is there a real need to load WattOS with lots of additional apps?

I prefer Firefox and Thunderbird, and always have the GIMP, gThumb, Phatch, and Kompozer installed to use. All are readily available in the Ubuntu repositories.
    • 553 posts
    January 4, 2012 1:50 PM PST
    Thanks Steve - yes there is always some debate around whether or not to include certain apps with wattOS. I always try new things with each release looking for lightweight and nicely functional apps that solve problems simply.
    • 13 posts
    January 4, 2012 4:44 PM PST
    Biff

About the only real changes to the default apps I would suggest would be gThumb or Mirage instead of Fotoxx and possibly including the 'Update Manager'. Not necessarily autostarting 'Update Manager', but simply included. I have no problem performing updates via Synaptic, but I did make sure to install it on the PC I just loaded WattOS on for a friend. She's not extremely computer savvy so I figured it would be best to just show her how to launch 'Update Manager'.