Forums » wattOS R7.5

• 94 posts
    November 3, 2013 3:56 PM PST

this topic will be for voting to keep ubuntu as a base, or move to debian.

your vote HERE :)

• 11 posts
    November 9, 2013 1:08 AM PST

Tough call.  I have never had a Debian base run as smooth as a Ubuntu base - not sure why.

This is especially true with remastersys which is one of the tools I find invaluable.  The only Debian base I know of with remastersys is Sparky and it always has strange quirks...

• 2 posts
    November 10, 2013 11:40 PM PST

I dont have enough experience to say one or the other. But one of the things people complain about with debian base is the slower updates. It can be an issue if you want to run the latest or newest stuff.

• November 17, 2013 8:50 AM PST

I've run debian, and I've run other distros. The greatest thing about debian is stability and rolling releases. Debian stable is rock solid. I have never had a software issue with debian stable. But, as Alex Bee pointed out, debian is slow in adopting newer software in the stable branch. But that's the reason it's so stable. But, there's always the testing and sid branches you can tap into for more up to date software. Also, there's debian backports for more up to date software, if you want to go that route. I think a combination of debian stable and testing branches would be a great base for WattOS. That way we would have the stability of the stable branch, plus we could tap into the testing or sid branches for more up to date software like LibreOffice. It could be customized any way Biff would like to do it. You got to remember, debian's testing branch is probably more stable than some other distros stable releases. I think moving WattOS to a mixed debian stable/testing/sid base would be a great move. That would move Watt to a rolling release base which, in my experience, is worth it. No more reinstalls! So, my vote is YES, move to a debian base.

May I also add the I have tried LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and I was not happy with their "update packs" way of updating. To clunky. Update Packs were large and having to wait too long for software packs to be released. A rolling release of software updates, as soon as their tested sufficiently, is the best way to go, in my opinion.

• 31 posts
    November 20, 2013 12:17 PM PST

I vote to keep a ubuntu base. It's what I feel most comfortable with, and I rely on ubuntuone.

• 61 posts
    November 20, 2013 1:23 PM PST

Ubuntu as a base is clever. Of course one can use Ubuntu software and Debian software too (via Gdebi for instance). Enough applications (usefull, easy to use and working) is the main problem in Linux in my opinion...

• 94 posts
    November 21, 2013 3:26 AM PST

no offense but i never used ubuntu one just don't like it.

• 170 posts
    December 16, 2013 4:06 AM PST

I vote to use Debian base.