Greetings all - for those of you who are new to wattOS, many of the fourm entries might already contain answers to your questions. (Be sure to look specifically at R5 areas. Some of the previous version fixes, tweaks, etc. will work in the newer versions. Dont forget to use the search function in the forums (upper right corner) and enter a simple search phrase and you might just find an answer quickly.
wattOS R5 is based on ubuntu 11.10 and the latest updates from the repos. Additionally if you read the brief announcement notes, you will see the details of the highlights. It is a simple fast destkop that will likely bring your old computer back to life with speed and lower footprint and low system requirements. If you need a desktop that is clean, easy, and allows you to do the basics and customize and build the way you like, then wattOS is something you should take a look at.
Basic Info: This version has a load of new changes. Below is a brief list of updates. This version of wattOS is based on the latest production ubuntu 11.10
Generally speaking any computer made in the last 10 years should have no problems running wattOS. I have personally run it on anything from 366MHZ and up. The live CD environment typcially needs 256MB to run reliably to install, but once install is done, it will use much less...Some have installed with less RAM, but your results or time to install will vary.... Typically consuming between 100-120MB of RAM or less once your on a hard drive and running it natively in your computer. (ie. not the live CD)
wattOS is lightweight Linux running LXDE and updated clean simple interface and smooth easy look.
wattOS has a full list of packages that can be found in the forums and a list of the major items on Distrowatch.com, as well as the basics here
Distrowatch Link: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wattos
Web Browser - Midori with Flash support built in Music -
Audacious - With streaming support included
Password Manager - keepassX
Picture editor - Pinta - easy and new picture editing
Video/Media player - SMPlayer
Spreadsheet - Gnumeric
Word processing - Abiword
simple text editor - Leafpad
Bittorrent - Transmission
Changes of applications from R4 to R5:
- Updated to Kernel 3.0.0-16
- New music player changed to audacious with plugin for music stream searching
- Changed to SMPlayer for video player
- Removed native mail client
- Installed all new graphics editing program Pinta
- Installed new power management utilities
- Jupiter and including the latest powertop and xfce4 power manager.
- Changed from Chromium to Midori web browser with flash support included
- added better webcam support with cheese included by default.
- Lots of other small tweaks and improvements - including ACPI, powertop, psensor (for temp management. Changed many utilities included
- Changed from wicd to network manager - along with the notifications. (so all you VPN, 3G, mobile connectivity folks will be happy), added the software update manager as well and it checks once a week for security related updates, added the language support tools and kept the langage selection menus intact at boot for LXDM which had previously been disabled.
- Lastly I have done some considerable work measuring various operating systems power usage using tools to measure actual watts used by the hour. I will be posting that information comparing wattOS R5 to R4 and popular windows based operating systems. I would expect that in the coming week.